Sunday, October 21, 2012

Screen Printing


Ever since I found out my sister was pregnant, I have been wanting to make her some onesies. I looked up sites online to get them made but they were so expensive (the cost of ONE onesie cost the same as all the supplies for the butterfly shirt .. this does not included getting it printed and the shipping). I spent some time researching online and before Noah was born I decided the DIY screen printing was the way to go. I thought it best to test it out on a shirt for my daughter first, before committing to a tiny onesie. It was so easy that I swore I had done something wrong. I have since made Noah's onesies and today we are making Halloween shirts for the girls; I think I am obsessed :)

Here are the steps:

 What you need:

  1. A T-shirt. I stocked up on girl shirts from the clearance section at Target .
  2. Paint brushes. I picked ones with rubber handle (less chance of slipping).
  3. Marker. This is tracing the pattern. I love sharpie pens.
  4. Pattern. Simple imagine from Google.
  5. Mod Podge.
  6. Fabric Paint.
  7. Embroidery Hoop. Check your local thrift store.
  8. Panty Hose. Again check the clearance rack at Target.


What to do:



  1. Wrap the panty hose around the hoop and pull tight. 
  2. Cut off any excess hose however leave a bit hanging off so it does not slip through the hoop (that would stink and almost happened to me).
  3. Use your marker to trace your pattern right on the hose.
  4. Using a paint brush, take Mod Podge and fill in negative space (the area you do not want to screen print). This is where my OCD kicked in. I was obsessed with making sure I filled all the holes. I even flipped it over and made sure the holes on the bottom side were covered as well. Let it dry for a few hours. It is dry when it is clear. I think this one took a little over 3 hours.




  1. Place the hoop where you want your pattern.
  2. Add fabric paint.
  3. Spread out the paint. I used cardboard to spread it out evenly.
  4. Carefully pull up the hoop.
  5. Tada!! (I let it dry over night)



This is the finished result.
As you can see, I went back and added pink butterflies, using the same hoop.



 These are the onesies I made for Noah!!

I will post the Halloween shirts when we are done!!

Update:

Here are the Halloween shirts and Noah in his shirts!! :)
Please ignore Ella's face; she was not in the picture taken mood at the time.






No comments:

Post a Comment